Monday, July 20, 2009

New Firing


for the copper. This time I fired it at 1650 for 3.5 hours - well, actually three hours and 50 minutes - I set up the kiln outside in bright light, and it is hard to read. Luckily, it was only twenty minutes longer than I intended and I think no harm was done.

The copper was still pitted. I fired the pieces vertically this time, thinking that if the carbon didn't sit right on top of the surface, then maybe.... still happened. No better, no worse.

So .... I need two mirror surfaces on at least two of these lotus leave pendants. Time to find out how deep the pits are. Hand sanding, even with rough paper didn't have much of an impact. Now I'm trying to grind of off with an attachment I found for my rotary tool, which if anyone is intersted, I can post a picture of it. I don't know what it is called. Seems to be working, or at least much improved. The photo posted here is after several passes with this, and I now I have to do some hand sanding and finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment